Matthew B. Baum, a member of the Firm, is a securities and commercial litigator.
Mr. Baum’s practice focuses on representing financial industry participants, including broker-dealers, advisors, and investment advisory firms. He represents clients in customer and industry disputes, FINRA and SEC Enforcement proceedings and investigations, securities licensing issues, employment matters, transitions, arbitrations, and court actions. He has represented clients in over 75 FINRA arbitrations.
Mr. Baum has litigated claims involving contracts, fiduciary duties, suitability, supervision, raiding, trade secrets, fraud, non-competition and non-solicitation restrictions, business torts, defamation, expungement, wrongful termination, negligence, and RICO.
Mr. Baum also regularly represents clients in business disputes unrelated to financial services.
In 2017, Super Lawyers® selected Mr. Baum as a Rising Star.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Baum practiced at Gusrae Kaplan Nusbaum PLLC, which was named by BTI Consulting Group as one of the Most Feared Firms in Litigation for three years in a row.
He is also the host of RIAcast (www.riacast.com), a podcast focused on the investment advisory community in which he has recorded episodes with top leaders and influencers in the RIA space.
Mr. Baum received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Michigan and a Juris Doctor from New York Law School, where he served as the Coordinating Notes Editor of the New York Law School Law Review.
Mr. Baum is admitted in New York, New Jersey, and the U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the District of New Jersey.
• FINRA Case No. 12-03218 (Lead Counsel) (Award: February 8, 2017): obtained denial of all claims of 32 investors on a motion to dismiss prior to presenting defense case-in-chief.
• AAA Case (Lead Counsel) (Award: February 25, 2016): obtained Award of $1,463,435 plus attorneys’ fees and costs to be paid by public company on a breach of contract claim.
• FINRA Case No. 12-03755 (Lead Counsel) (Award: April 9, 2015): obtained denial of all claims of more than $450,000, expungement, and all costs assessed against elderly Claimant.
• FINRA Case No. 09-04736 (2nd Chair) (Award: November 5, 2014): obtained denial of all claims, including RICO, and award of $108,943.94 in attorneys’ fees on behalf of FINRA Member firm following 76 hearing session arbitration.
• FINRA Case No. 07-03369 (Lead Counsel) (Award: September 26, 2014): obtained award of $75,000 and all forum fees assessed against a Respondent on behalf of former brokers.
• FINRA Case No. 10-05146 (2nd Chair) (Award: February 21, 2014): obtained denial of $8 million claim on behalf of independent brokerage firm branch and brokers.